01 September 2008

London welcomed me with rain...

And it was absolutely wonderful. After two months of roasting and putting on ten shades of darkness, thanks to the wretched rays of the sun... a little bit of my favorite weather made up for the horrible layout of Gatwick Airport. Why did I just not fly into Heathrow like all the normal people? It was going up and down a number to escalators, just to get to passport control, then more escalators to baggage claim... then an elevator to take a train to South Terminal, wait another 15 miutes, 30 minute train ride on the Gatwick Express, up more escalators to find a taxi, and thanks to traffic... 15 pounds for a normally 5 pound ride... Not to mention, as nice as my driver was, I think he took the the long way now that I've begun to recognize the streets a bit. Anyways, aside from that nonsense of mine, London is great. I don't think the culture shcok is too bad. A lot of it feels the same, but I give the credit to the not so different language communication. I love this whole city feel enviornment and not to hectic ambiance that make up the heartbeat of London life.. well, thus far.

The Crofton, the building I'm staying in is super cute. I think my roommates, Maddy and Melissa (Who btw. are really nice. They're music performance majors and I find it funny how they are always getting into musical debates, and I just sit and watch, not really knowing what on earth they are saying!), and I lucked out. Our room, which is a triple is very roomy. And our kitchen is fantastic! Minus, I have yet to learn how to use it more, ahem, cooking. I got the grocery shopping done, and I do have to admit, it's an odd feeling having to cook for yourself. UCSD and the luxuries of Cafe V and OVT are no longer available to me. [= Starbucks is a few blocks around the corner... And don't judge because I haven't had it for 2 months. So I thouroughly enjoyed my 15 minutes of coffee and listening to the jazz that was playing in the background of the local 'bucks. There are a good amount of coffee shops near our 43 Harrington Gardens where our classroos are, so it looks like it'll be coffee happy for me once again!

Today a representative from one of the local nondenominational Churches came to our student fair. I totally made a friend and have a Church lined up to go to. It's a great feeling. I miss being in Church, and after two months of not being able to go, I am most excited for this Sunday!

We're getting ready to go on our building's "Academic Boat Tour" which I think will be great. Yay for history and sight seeing! Yay London!

Until the next time!

With love from London,
Carla

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha coffee-happy, u're cute carlamorla!! :D & i miss you. i enjoy finding u on AIM hehe

enjoy the city-feel for me!! :\

<333